The Palms Hotel, as she has been named since 1993, originally was built as 2 separate homes as 820 and 822 White St. The 3 homes shown in the painting below by David Harrison Wright circa 1993, shows what was at one time, all owned by one of Key West’s Prominent Families – The Williams.
The John Sherman Williams Residence at 820 White Street.
Built around 1880, the beautiful mansions were spared no expense when built and furnished. John Sherman Williams, A.K.A "Pappa Jack" (1852 – 1942) was born in Appalachicola, Florida and migrated south to Key West at an early age. It was here in Key West that he met his wife, a local named Rosalie Susan Almeda (1856 – 1932)
After they were married, he became a very successful young man and went on to earn a good living from several different career paths. He became a prosperous owner when he purchased and operated "Jack Wilson's Saloon" on the waterfront, just down the street from the busy “Curry & Son's” shipyard on Front and Simonton streets. The shipyard location would later become the Coca Cola building and now is the Key West Legal Rum Distillery.
The property has quite a history itself. In the seventies and eighties it served as a boarding house to many of Key West’s admirers. There have been many different names during these years including the Terrell Apartments in 1976, Vandegroaff Apartments in 1978, The Palms of Key West Guesthouse in 1982 and The Palms of Key West in 1988, and finally becoming The Palms Hotel in 1993.